Re: Why are we waiting for the release?

Subject: Re: Why are we waiting for the release?
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 05:18:10 CDT

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:25:06PM -0400, John L. Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:06:11PM -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> > I guess that I was just waiting for binaries. Since we haven't got any
> > really, I'll just go ahead and release.
>
> My contribution:
>
> At ftp://john-l.cwru.edu/pub/software/abiword there is a gtk tarball and
> a gtk slackware package. The md5sums are also there.

The md5sums are more usefull if communicated on the mailing list, so we can trust the binaries more.

Consider:

   One malefic hacker attacks your ftp site and changes the packages. What's preventing the attacker from modifying the md5sums as well?

If you can, please use pgp. I have sent a mail on this mailing list (it became a small thread) on how to do it.

Hugs, rms