Re: About Cygwin

Subject: Re: About Cygwin
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 10:23:26 CDT

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 01:04:59AM +1000, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
> Hilary Cheng wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I would ilke to use Cygwin to compile AbiWord under Win32
> > Environment. But
> > When I compile the zlib ( from cvs of abi ). it give me an errors that
> > can't found 'cl'.
> > I should use VC++ to compile it ?
>
> Hi Hilary. Under Cygwin it uses GNU make and the rest but still
> uses VC++ as the compiler. to run VC++ from a dos box you have
> to run VCVARS32.BAT which is in your VC++ installation somewhere.
>
> I think it's also possible to build with gcc under Cygwin but
> I'm not sure how.

About a year and a half ago, a method was set up to allow you to build
against an X server on Windows, and use GTK. That used GCC. I don't
know if anyone ever used that. Other than that, GCC has not been used
in the windows builds.

There are two major reasons why this hasn't been done:

1) GCC doesn't have a program to hande the resource file (*.rc2)

2) No one has ever bothered.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss