Re: widows and orphans

Subject: Re: widows and orphans
From: Patrick Lam (plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:11:09 CDT

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 12:49 AM 4/14/01 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:
> >It looks to me like there is no support for widow/orphan control in the
> >code. Is that the case? if so, how could bug 737 (Non WYSWYG printing
> >for documents with widow/orphan control) not be bogus?
>
> IIRC, Eric was pretty proud of the fact that our formatter has finer-grained
> support for this than our UI (and Word's) can express.
>
> Try grepping the sources for the "widows" and "orphans" paragraph-level
> properties. ;-)

Yes, I eventually found the code which implements it. I got confounded by
upper/lowercase instances of the leading o in "orphans".

What was bogus, though, was that the initial value of the orphan and widow
properties varied arbitrarily between "1" and "2" depending on where they
were instantiated from!

pat