Re: XP design for image support

Subject: Re: XP design for image support
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 23:08:33 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Dom Lachowicz <cinamod@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 10:06 PM

> Hi Mike,
>
> This is the best argument that I've heard so far. It's still a little
flawed
> (or misstated at least), IMHO. If I was in your position, I'd be arguing
for
> each particular raster/vector format to be supported on each platform, and
> not a single raster & vector format to be supported on all of them (though
> this is one way to achive such said goal).
>
> However, I remain unconvinced that embedding a JPEG as JPEG data into abi
> *will* cause this effect, just that it potentially *might*. And to date,
no
> one has said "it *will* be difficult/impossible to do feature XXX on my
> particular platform" but rather all I've heard is (abstractly) "it *might*
> be difficult/impossible to do XXX one some (possibly unknown or future)
> platform" which is not a good argument, IMHO. Give me facts and figures,
> ideas and alternatives, not conjectures.
>
> I've sent a mail to Paul off-list that I'm tempted to repost (at least
parts
> of) here.
>
> Sorry for being irritated. It's not because of this. Lack of sleep + 2
> papers to write in < 10 hrs is screwing with my head.
>
> Dom

Dom -

No offense taken and I truely appreciate all the effort you put into this.
As I have no facts, figures, ideas, nor alternatives - just opinions - it is
difficult to make any argument. I probably have misunderstood the
situation - as it usually boils down to a communication problem.

I can live with either of the two concepts below:

1) A cross platform image library that handles the various formats.
2) Platform specific image libraries which convert to PNG/SVG.

If there is a third option, that I don't understand, forgive my ignorance.

My concern was never about embedding other images into the AbiWord Format,
but branching the format such that it differs between OS implimentations. I
think image support branching is a bad idea.

I certainly want to help with whatever graphic importing ends getting used.
Add me to the committee - if there is a slot open.

Cheers!

Michael D. Pritchett