Re: Graphic Images

Subject: Re: Graphic Images
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 06:01:55 CDT

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 06:44:43AM -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> SamTH wrote:
> >I'm not sure what you mean here. The only apps that should care
> >what's in our file format are apps that want to import ABW documents.
> >And if you try to import an ABW document without beinga able to handle
> >PNG properly, well, that's your problem. Or?
>
> It's worthwhile to also consider those apps which also wish to generate ABW
> documents, such as KWord, wvWare, a CGI or perl script, a bonobo component
> using abi as its viewing component, &c...

I feel the same way about these apps as I do about importers. We have
a format, it's open and sort-of specified, even. If they want to use
it, we shouldn't rewrite the format to make their lives easier. They
should just write images in PNG.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss