Re: Linking against libjpeg ?

Subject: Re: Linking against libjpeg ?
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 07:43:01 CDT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> If we wish to compete against them in any sense of the word, we must compare
> ourselves to them whether we would like to or not. 3M might be horribly
> large for some situations. So do we now not put any new features in or fix
> bugs because it adds a few KB? I'm confused.

This is off topic from our original discussion:

Most features aren't the bloat, it is the libraries of
functionality that we link against for more functionality
than we use.

While _your_ system might use shared versions of
libiconv/libwv/libfoo when you build it, do our release
builds not come from/link against the libraries in the
cvs repository? Release versions of AbiWord should
_only_ build against the internal libraries allowing
us a level of standardization and QA'ability across all
platforms, otherwise why bother with them in our CVS tree?

I know that is how I do my "distribution" builds ... and
to make sure things work that is where I do my daily
work.

For what it is worth, I will implement the loadable
modules when the time comes, assuming that no one else
has the inclination and time to do it.

Thomas ... grouchy grouchy grouchy
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf