Re: Structured Storage [was: Re: Inline Images??? ]

Subject: Re: Structured Storage [was: Re: Inline Images??? ]
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 11:13:09 CDT

On vendredi, avril 20, 2001, at 05:05 , Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2001 16:59:28 +0200, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>>
>>> 2) TGZ - rebels!
>>> 3) ZIP - OpenOffice
>>
>> Nope.
>
> just for the record, can you (Dom or Hubert) explain what are the
> problems with these aproachs?

gzip is a one file compression. This means that you have to uncompress
the whole file before using it. Tar has the linear approach of archive
files together. While it is simple and appropriate for some use (tar
means Tape ARchive, remember), it is almost unusable for a structure
storage model.
As a comparison, consider using Linux with a tape as main storage
(instead of a hard drive with random access).

ZIP is better than tar as it provides indiviudal compression inside the
archive, but its archive file format is kind old and not always the best
for this purpose. You have to scan thru the file to find things. I think
Leonard as a better overview of the problem :-)

Hub