Re: commit -- autoconf changes

Subject: Re: commit -- autoconf changes
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 03:49:21 CDT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 02:10 PM 4/16/01 +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > I think it would be nice if we were searching for libxml2 first - it's much
> >mature and featurefull parser than expat, and it has functionality critical
> >for CJK users (ability to support their encodings in xml files). Are there
> any
> >good reasons to try expat first?
>
> Yeah. For starters, expat runs and is supported on all our platforms.
> AFAIK, libxml is Unix-specific.
>
> The autoconf builds are also Unix-specific for the moment, but I know that
> Sam's dying to prove to me that we can switch all of our platforms to
> autoconf. ;-)
>
> Paul
>
> PS: The original author of expat, James Clark, is a legend in the XML
> community. I'm suprised to see anyone calling his work "less mature".

 His parser seems to be minimalistic and very useful functionality that can be
considered orthogonal from academical POV is missing in it (support for
charsets different from utf8 - though it has very obscure interface to support
other encodings - that AW uses to support single-byte encodings right now).
libxml(2) supports any encodings iconv() supports without additional efforts
from the programmer. Of course, both parsers are mature and stable, but expat
has very bare functionality.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad