Re: encryption

Subject: Re: encryption
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 14:27:04 CDT

At 12:02 PM 4/23/2001 -0700, WJCarpenter wrote:
>This is another perfect example of something that is better done under
>a loadable module or subprocess or whatever externalized framework
>than being built into the base product.

         Maybe, maybe not. Depends on exactly what "encryption"
means...and until we know the answer to that, any implementation
discussions are a waste of time...

>You want encryption in a word processor because you want to protect it
>from prying eyes while it lives on your own disk, or you want to
>protect it while you share it with a small number of collaborators.

         If that were the case, then the user should be using PGP/GPG or
something similar. There is no reason to provide built-in functionality if
this is all the user wants as there are MUCH better external solutions,
especially things like PGPDisk and encrypted file systems.

Leonard