Re: Porting to another OS?

Subject: Re: Porting to another OS?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 14:59:59 CDT

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 08:11:47PM +0100, David Given wrote:
> I am vaguely interested in doing an Abiword port to another operating system.
> What's involved in this? I've had a brief look at the GTK code, and it seems to
> consist of a bunch of classes, one per dialogue box, plus one for the main
> application. What's the minimum you have to do to get *something*, no matter how
> useless, running?

Having never actually done it, I think it's more work than that.
AbiWord has been ported to two different OS's completely, both by the
same person, and a third port is making lots of progress. It is my
understanding that the real work is porting the cross-application
framework (located in the src/af/ directories of the source tree)
rather than the dialogs.

Also, what OS are you interested in?

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key