Re: encryption

Subject: Re: encryption
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 20:08:49 CDT

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:07:01PM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 10:41 AM 4/24/2001 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> > > Encryption is a wide open concept. Are we talking password
> > > protection, Digital Rights Management (DRM) Features, what?
> >As I understood, the request was for password protection, which is
> >normal in other wordprocessors; we could do a better job of it
> >though, by using a decent algorithm.
>
> And some other things as well. However, it may be worth our
> while to also consider looking at basic DRM features as well ala PDF and
> eBooks (don't copy, don't print, etc.). Admittedly, such features aren't
> as secure in an open source product where one could just recompile a
> "secureless" version - but it would give the average user a "touchy feely".

I agree with almost everything you've said in this thread on
encryption, but DRM features are *not* ok, in my opinion. You would
have to come up with some very convincing arguments as to how these
features would benifit the people who use AbiWord in order to change
my mind on this point.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss