Re: encryption

Subject: Re: encryption
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 12:50:08 CDT

tomas> Even if you include a some kind of a header with the cipher
tomas> name and size, abisource ulr, etc, you still need a bomb-proof
tomas> method of detecting that you have been given the wrong key, so
tomas> that you can gracefully abort opening the file. The two number

Remember, it is not necessary to give particularly good performance in
the case of a bad password.

Also, you are not decrypting unstructured binary data ... it's highly
structured stuff. First of all, does zlib give up when trying to
inflate? If not, AbiWord's XML parsing certainly will. All you
really have to do is trap the "I am punting" paths and turn them into
"I am punting, and it is probably because you used a bad password".