Re: big honkin' images

Subject: Re: big honkin' images
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 08:41:59 CDT

At 03:18 PM 4/26/01 +0200, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>According to Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com>:
>>
>> The design tradeoff is clear, but my original point still stands. If
users
>> insert BHIs, I don't mind forcing them to pay a scaling penalty for doing
>> so. I *do* mind forcing all platforms to include JPEG support. In a
>> resource-constrained environment (my hypothetical settop box), that kind
of
>> cost gets expensive. [1]
>
>unless you box does not do web browsing (which is unlikely to happen
theses days), it
>is likely that the box will already have JPEG support just because it is
to widely
>used on websites.
>
>No ?

No. Some boxes (such as WebTV, last time I checked) do server-side
conversion of all images to some other format that's more appropriate for
their display needs. Ditto for most browsing apps on Palms.

As Thomas can attest, when you start shoehorning software onto
resource-constrained devices, all sorts of desktop assumptions go out the
window.

Paul