Re: menu and toolbar label sets

Subject: Re: menu and toolbar label sets
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 11:17:58 CDT

At 11:50 AM 3/28/01 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>I assume there must be good reasons for having the menu and
>toolbar labels for all languages hardwired into the executable; could
>someone please remind why we do this (rather than using the
>same mechanism as for the dialogues)?

Short answer -- the mechanism used for the dialogs currently only handles
strings, and we need more than that here.

The current hardwired stuff supports localization of the following three
aspects of menu/toolbar localization:

1. The layouts. The theory is that some menu items might be completely
useless for certain locales and should thus be disabled or omitted from the
UI. I don't know whether this is currently used, though.

2. The toolbar icons. This *is* currently used to choose which buttonface
to use for certain toolbar items.

3. The strings. These could easily be externalized via the existing
strings mechanism, although without fixes to #1, it's not totally clear how
that'd work.

As mentioned in some of the other gettext threads recently, the real problem
is deciding whether and how to deal with #1 and #2.

Paul