Fast-Saved & Mac DOCs (Was Re: Export Word -> save as RTF .doc?)

Subject: Fast-Saved & Mac DOCs (Was Re: Export Word -> save as RTF .doc?)
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 23:30:19 CDT

> Fast-saved word documents: is AW (wv) supposed to be capable of
> reading such files? Files I received recently were unreadable by
> either AW or WordPerfect8 on Linux (although WP, and Word of course,
> had no trouble opening them up in Windows). QuarkXpress (an old 3.2)
> for Windows also could not open them and popped up a message about
> their probably being fast-saved. I finally downloaded and installed
> StarOffice 5.2 for Linux (trying to reduce its bloat as much as
> possible), which _did_ read the files (_almost_ perfectly).

ABW/wv can read fast-saved documents, or at least I claim that it can. If
you have specific docs that won't open, please send those docs to me so that
I can try to get things corrected.

> MAC (Word) files: what prospect is there of opening MAC files
> (especially Word documents) in AW on other platforms?

MAC Word format is not the same as WinWord. wv doesn't handle Mac Word DOCs
(will it ever?) The main problem here is that:

1) I haven't *ever* run across a spec/doc on MacWord format
2) I haven't *ever* gotten a MacWord doc, even upon request from people who
say that it doesn't work.

Dom