Re: MPL question

Subject: Re: MPL question
From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@multicert.com)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 11:56:27 CST

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 13:26, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> I have a question about the Mozilla Public Licence and GPL. I need
> to implement a function for the win32 bidi version for which much of
> the code is in the Mozilla sources. I have had a look at the MPL,
> but am not very clever of it. Can we include code from Mozilla in
> our sources?

If that code is multi-licensed and one of the licenses is the GPL or
LGPL, you can include that code, if you accept to receive that code
under the GPL/LGPL.

MPL alone, though a free software license, is not compatible with the
GNU GPL.

From
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

The Mozilla Public License (MPL).
    This is a free software license which is not a strong copyleft;
unlike the X11 license, it has some complex restrictions that make it
incompatible with the GNU GPL. That is, a module covered by the GPL and
a module covered by the MPL cannot legally be linked together. We urge
you not to use the MPL for this reason.

    However, MPL 1.1 has a provision (section 13) that allows a program
(or parts of it) to offer a choice of another license as well. If part
of a program allows the GNU GPL as an alternate choice, or any other
GPL-compatible license as an alternate choice, that part of the program
has a GPL-compatible license.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?