Re: .po scripts

Subject: Re: .po scripts
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 06:21:52 CST

2001-12-05 00:34:40, Alexander Shopov <al_shopov@web.bg>:

> 2. Updatng po file
> cp language.po abi/po
> cd abi/po
> ./update.sh language

(I assume you mean 'update.pl' -- 'update.sh' doesn't exist.)

This doesnt work properly. Before I converted the abi file to
po, I had 17 untranslated strings (in the .strings file),
according to 'dumpstrings.pl'. When I created the .po,
modified/translated this, and converted it back to a .strings
file, I had 196 untranslated strings. Most of these came from
'empty' strings, e.g.:

MENU_STATUSLINE_AUTOTEXT_CLOSING_1=" "

But it seems that the problem hasn't got anything to do with
empty strings per se, only 'duplicate' strings. For example,
the following strings all have the value 'Preview'[1]:

DLG_Column_Preview
DLG_Zoom_PreviewFrame
DLG_PageNumbers_Preview
DLG_Lists_Preview
DLG_Styles_ModifyPreview
DLG_Para_LabelPreview

But when I use .update.pl, only *one* of them
('DLG_PageNumbers_Preview') is moved to the .po file. This
means that five of them will be untranslated (when moving the
strings back to the .strings file, and when running AbiWord).

[1] This is *good*, by the way. It may be translated into
    different words in the target language, depending on the
    context in which they appear.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer