BugZilla - stale bugs

Subject: BugZilla - stale bugs
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@zoftcorp.dk)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:56:20 CST

I hereby declare bugs that haven't been touched for 2+ months for stale.

In the future, I will close the following classes of stale bugs:

 o QA TO QUALIFY:
   Apparently whoever filed the bug (and others) are not annoyed
   by this bug anymore, and they forgot to close it.

 o OPEN/SUBMIT where someone has requested additional information
   and not received it:
   Submitter apparently don't care anymore - and without the extra
   information, the bug is useless.

For the latter class, I've considered adding a new CLOSED/NEEDINFO state
to bugzilla. Sam, do you know hard it would be to do so? Meanwhile, I'll
be using CLOSED/INVALID.

Note that this does not mean that we ignore those bugs. If you find one
of your bugs closed as stale because you've been busy or out of time,
simply reopen it, adding the necessary information to make it a valid
bug again.

It's simply a way to keep the BugZilla backlog from getting out of hand:
skimming the same old set of bugs when looking for stuff to do is very
tiring (and rather frustrating, actually). The developers' time is
limited - this is a way to forcibly shift some of the BugZilla triage to
the users who actually report and care about the bugs.

I'll try to get the bugwritinghelp.html updated and add the above
information to it as well.

Thanks,
Jesper - believing it's time we cleaned up the mess