Re: On the Road to version 1.0

Subject: Re: On the Road to version 1.0
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:57:09 CST

Hmmm. There seems to be not enough emphasis on nailing down crashing bugs.

How about a specific earlier target for fixing all known crashing bugs. Then,
hold a "torture the ant" contest where developers & users compete to try and
find the most new ways to crash AbiWord? AbiWord is not feature rich, it's
strength should be stability.

                ---------

As for feature freeze, I'm not so sure. Have people sat down and worked through
user scenarios? Can AbiWord write a book? Work as a low cost word replacement?
The recent word import/export improvements have gone a long way, but maybe that's
not enough.

I doubt there is any actual new feature required, but some of the existing
features might not be quite solid enough for general use. Features not
ready for prime time should be removed. Possible examples:

        * .svg import (which does nothing but mess up documents for me)
        * Smart quotes on Linux (the checkbox has no useful effect)
        * Autotext
        * Styles (which are still a bit unpredictable)
        * Bookmarks (which are, as far as I can tell, are invisible after insertion)
        * Execute script (which just says ATTN: for me)

Do import/export filters work correctly for character sets across platforms?
Is an AbiWord document really portable? Because of issues like smart quotes, I think
the answer is currently "not quite".

Is image insertion really ready? The lack of .gif and .eps import are hard to take.
The inability to resize an image, or flow text around it, is a real downside.

I think a review of the existing feature set for solidity and completeness would
be in order. No new functionality here, but ask if each subfeature works well
enough to call it 1.0. If not, fix it or disable it for 1.0. AbiWord has been popular
with less features. A half baked feature does not belong in 1.0.

                                -Bryce