Re: Interesting Statistics

Subject: Re: Interesting Statistics
From: Damian Ivereigh (damian@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 17:42:17 CST

Sorry, I can't resist. That figure only includes direct downloads (not
ones via other means, such as bundled with other packages or downloaded
from Ximian's RedCarpet). So if we could find a way for just 10% of
those people to give $5 a year (it's a gift, not a payment - the giver
gets nothing directly back), that would come to $50,000 a year - enough
to pay for a full time developer.

That would sure move AbiWord forward. Look I know that money and Open
Source don't often seem to go well together. However I am passionate
about Open Source and I really want to see it move forward. It saddens
me when these highly talented developers have to get day jobs just to
pay the rent.

Just a thought.

Damian

--