Russian MSWord import problems

Subject: Russian MSWord import problems
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 06:26:00 CST

Sorry I can't find the reference. Yesterday I saved a
file that somebody was having problems with in
AbiWord.
It's called krs12.doc but I can't find the bug report
or
email that posted it.

Anyway I've looked at it in Word 2001 for Mac and it
seems to be a Russian Word file with the encoding
broken. All the characters are garbage but the same
type of garbage you get if you load a Russian plain
text file with a latin encoding. On this basis my
guess is that the file was created by a very old
version
of Word that didn't save encoding information or it
could have been created to use a bad font that had
cyrillic letters but latin encoding.

I hope somebody can find the original mail/bug report
this refers to...

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com