Release schedule (Was: On the Road to version 1.0)

Subject: Release schedule (Was: On the Road to version 1.0)
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 16:32:37 CST

Here's some feedback as requested:

Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This email is long overdue, but it's better late than never.
>
> At this time, I'd like to propose a schedule toward our releasing
> AbiWord version 1.0
>
> ================================
> > Preliminary schedule:
>
> Feature freeze: TODAY. There will be no more features checked into the
> tree, unless they are considered ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and are currently
> filed in Bugzilla. These would be anything considered as a RELEASE
> BLOCKER and I don't think that there will be many (if any) of these
> commits needed. If you're hankering for a new feature or functionality,
> feel free to check it into AbiWord-Plugins
>
> Soft String freeze: This Friday, the Dec 21st. I say "soft" here because
> some bugzilla bugs may require the addition of or changing of strings,
> and this is both unavoidable and worthwhile.
>
> Documentation freeze: English language documentation should be done by
> January 4, 2002 to allow time for adequate translations.
>
> Hard String freeze: January 7, 2002. Bugzilla bugs that require new
> strings or an alteration of existing string will have to be done by this
> date or will have to wait until 1.0.1. NO EXCEPTIONS.
>
> AbiWord 0.99.1 aka 1.0 Alpha 1: January 8, 2002. ~50% of 1.0 release
> critical bugs should be fixed by this date.
>
> Translation freeze (both strings and documentation): January 18. We will
> no longer accept new translations, documentation updates, or anything of
> the sort after this date. NO EXCEPTIONS.
>
> AbiWord 0.99.2 aka 1.0 Beta 1: January 19, 2002. ~66% of 1.0 release
> critical bugs should be fixed by this date.

Suggested change:
        ALL KNOWN CRASHING BUGS SHOULD BE FIXED BY THIS DATE.

> AbiWord 0.99.3 aka 1.0 Beta 2: January 23, 2002. ~75% of 1.0 release
> critical bugs should be fixed by this date.

Suggested change:
        ALL KNOWN CRASHING BUGS MUST BE FIXED BY THIS DATE.

> AbiWord 0.99.4 aka 1.0 Pre 1 : January 27, 2002. ~85% of 1.0 release
> critical bugs should be fixed by this date.
>
> AbiWord 1.0 final: January 31, 2002. Ideally, between 90% and 100% of
> 1.0 targetted bugs would be here. Ideally NO KNOWN CRASHERS
>
> ================================
>
> Requirements:
>
> * FEW/NO KNOWN CRASHERS
> * Adequate working translations
> * As many dictionaries as humanly possible
> * Adequate documentation:
> - David's docs, integrated with our help system, translated
> - Installion documents for all required platforms and subplatforms
> (rpm, tgz, deb, ...)
> - HOWTO/FAQs, especially for the more annoying and prominant bugs
> (Bidi vs Monodi, unix font handling/setup, ttf, ...)
>
> ================================
>
> I'm looking for more feedback from everyone here. The release schedule
> is set in mud, not stone right now, so a bit of movement is possible,
> but not a whole lot. Getting 1.0 out the door will be a big process, but
> it's going to kick some major ass. I want to thank everyone who has (and
> will) put in their valuable time toward making our 1.0 release the
> greatest ever!
>
> Dom

Basically I'd move the focus on fixing crashing
bugs a little earlier in the schedule, as those often take more time to
fully reveal themselves.

Also consider having the "final" version out on the streets a week before it is blessed
as final. Release a version, if it goes a week without anything coming up, call it
final. If any changes are made restart the clock. I call this the "stability period".
A release has to survive a week, unmodified, before it's called final.

                        -Bryce