Re: PATCH request: edit headers

Subject: Re: PATCH request: edit headers
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 02:45:32 CST

 --- Martin Sevior
<msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> wrote: >

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>

> > If you have to explain it, it's not clear enough.
> >

> Whoops! Clearly a bug mistake has been made
> somewhere. Before I
> implemented "Normal Mode" this was not a problem at
> all.
>
> > It works OK if you follow your instructions. But
> there are lots of
> > little confusing things about how it works now.
> >
> > Try AbiWord's defaults (extra toolbar off, normal
> mode) and turn on
> > "show paragraphs". Now try to use headers. All
> the header controls
> > are ghosted.
>

> Clearly this is the problem. Normal Mode should not
> be a default and edit
> headers/toolbar buttons should get you out of Normal
> mode. I don't know
> how noraml mode got made default. It wasn't
> originally.

I disagree. I hate page layout mode as I never print
documents. But moreover I believe that everybody
should be able to choose their preferred default mode.
Abi should be fixed so that any mode as default
"just works".

> This isa classic example of why Modes Suck. Thanks
> for the UI hints. I'll
> do this.
>
> If you figure out how to add a header you have a bad
> > situation where (in normal mode) body text appears
> in the clearly
> > marked header area. If you figure out to switch
> to print layout
> > and type, the first character of the header is
> trashed. If you
> > remove a header garbage appears on screen.
> >

> Right. All bad bugs. This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. I'll
> make sure pressing
> these buttons gets the user out of Normal Mode.

I'm pretty sure that Dom hated the idea of the mode
being switched under the user when doing certain
operations. I and others described certain MSWord
features that caused this to happen (columns) and
they were not welcomed into AbiWord.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com