Performance observation

Subject: Performance observation
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 12:20:45 CST

I'm using a crap 'ol dual P200 here at the Red Hat UK office and it's
really a slow pig (allegedly the CPU fans failed at some time and
fried the caches or something horribly like that - actually, the SCSI
controller appears to DMA file data to memory faster than the CPU can
read it ;)

Anyway, I figured I could use that as a nice excuse to have a look at
AbiWord performance, startup time in particular. But I was pleasantly
surprised to see AbiWord start up less than a second after being
invoked. Very impressive! For small documents there's absolutely no
difference between AbiWord and emacs responsiveness.

So I've decided to rest my case and look at some bugs instead :)

Jesper