[arthurk@sonic.net: Re: AbiWord Bug Report]

Subject: [arthurk@sonic.net: Re: AbiWord Bug Report]
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 21:17:10 CST

This guy reports a number of bugs. Has anyone else seen them?

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key:
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/key

attached mail follows:

        "Unexpected experiences"

a) On Jan 27 I receiced a Windows error message:

ABIWORD caused an invalid page fault in module ABIWORD.EXE at 0177:0043da20.

I had written (in AbiWord text file), and sought an extended work-around for
the page as it developed a distored view on the monitor (one line -
transfered the center of the preceeding paragraph). I closed the "problem
report" document, and sought to return to letter I was writing.

I appeared to have been able to select the document (Enter and Tab placed
cursor at expected position but I was unable to enter any data. Tried to
determine what was wrong (began with new line, tab and tried to type. Still
no result.

When I tried to use back-space the above error message appeared.

This warning suggests that "this program will be shut down," yet actually
the entire system may be rebooted At other times, I am able to copy the
details message to pass them on to tech assistance. In this cace I was
able to view and copy the details but they would not paste to the open Abi
document.

Using a desktop shortcut I opened a Word Pad document in which I was able to
paste the message as well as add these additional notes. (I assume the
reason I could not use or paste to the Abi document was the fact that this
"program" was in process of being closed.)

I closed and reopened Abiword but same issue so rebooted.

b) The exact same error was reported on Jan 29, after I attempted to find
(intending to copy) an Outlook Express attachment. (I do not recall if I
had copied an attachment to an AbiWord document before, I have done it
repeatedly with WordPad.)

- - - - - - - - - -

Feb 04

A unique instance occurred. I hope I can send e-mail to demonstrate what
happened.

I prepared a joke in wordpad for e-mail. It was transferred to AbiWord for
spellcheck.

The original format had been retained (except space between lines), and
since only two typo's were found, I copied the document as shown in AbiWord
and sought to paste it in Outlook Express for transmission. This is what
was sent:

Some thoughts which give insight into "Woman"

...Women over 50 don't have babies because they would them down and forget
where they left them.
...One of life's mysteries is how a 2 pound box of candy make a woman gain 5
lbs.
...My mind not only wanders, it sometime leaves completely.
...The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
...The nice part about living in a small town is that when you 't know what
you're doing, someone else does.
...The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because then, your
body and your fat are really good friends.
...Just when I was getting used to yesterday, came today.
...Sometimes I think I understand everything, then regain consciousness.
...I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs rubbing together - setting
my pantyhose on fire.
...Amazing! You hang something in your closet for a little while and it
shrinks two sizes!
... Skinny people irritate me! Especially when they things like, "You know,
sometimes I just forget eat." Now I've forgotten my address, my mother's
name, and my keys. But I've never forgotten EAT! [You have to be a special
kind of stupid forget to eat.]
...A woman once confused her valium with her birth pills. She now has 14
kids, and... she does not really care.
... The trouble with some women is that they get excited about nothing -
then they marry him.
...I read this article that said the typical symptoms stress are: eating too
much, impulse buying, and too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a
perfect day!
...I know what Victoria's Secret is. The secret is: nobody older than 30 can
fit into their stuff.
- - -

Alerted that there were some errors, I obtained the WordPad original. In
capital letters I inserted the words which were ommitted by AbiWord.
(Seemingly "lost," after a SAVE and during the spellcheck activity.) It then
read:

Word processor "sprung a leak." Somehow, and sometimes, it dropped a word in
mid-sentence.
I think this is how my last mail should have looked. Sorry.

Some thoughts which MAY give insight into "Woman"

...Women over 50 don't have babies because they would PUT them down and
forget where they left them.
...One of life's mysteries is how a 2 pound box of candy CAN make a woman
gain 5 lbs.
...My mind not only wanders, it sometime leaves completely.
...The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
...The nice part about living in a small town is that when you DON'T know
what you're doing, someone else does.
...The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because then, your
body and your fat are really good friends.
...Just when I was getting used to yesterday, IT BEcame today.
...Sometimes I think I understand everything, AND then I regain
consciousness.
...I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs STARTED rubbing together -
setting my pantyhose on fire.
...Amazing! You hang something in your closet for a little while and it
shrinks two sizes!
... Skinny people irritate me! Especially when they things like, "You know,
sometimes I just forget TO eat." Now I've forgotten my address, my mother's
MAIDEN name, and my keys. But I've never forgotten TO EAT! [You have to be a
special kind of stupid TO forget to eat.]
...A woman once confused her valium with her birth CONTROL pills. She now
has 14 kids, and... she does not really care.
... The trouble with some women is that they get excited about nothing -
then they marry him.
...I read this article that said the typical symptoms OF stress are: eating
too much, impulse buying, and DRIVING too fast. Are they kidding? That is my
idea of a perfect day!
...I know what Victoria's Secret is. The secret is: nobody older than 30 can
fit into their stuff.
- - - - -

Other Gereral items:

If I attempt to open AbiWord by double-click on a saved AbiWord document,
it does not work. Sometimes the Abi routine is triggered but the document
does not appear. orcan it (or any other) be opened in this false facsimile
version. I must always open AbiWord first, then find the documents I wish
to open.

If I cut and paste material from WordPad in order to use spellcheck I run
into several problems.

1) all previous formatting is lost. The material is input as a single
string rather than separate lines.

2.) if I use spellcheck at this point, the material may end up in almost
unrecognizable form. Leading spaces, and/or words may be lost. Whole
lines may be located in a different space.

3) if material is first SAVED, this tems to provide a workaround which
prevents most, or all, secondary problems. Issue # 1 above still holds.

4) text which has been assigned a color may be cut and paste but more than
one color is not possible.

Sincerely, Art Kappler