Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)

Subject: Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 12:46:19 CST

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 10:47:20AM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:

> >However, if
> >you continue to object, I'll probably put it back in. I won't put in
> >the other stuff in expat cvs that's not in our tree, though.
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure what to advise you on here. I've been assuming that the
> only work needed to upgrade our copy of expat (or any other mirrored
> library we require) to a newer upstream version was roughly as follows:
>
> 1. identify what our diffs to the last baseline were
> 2. cvs import all of the new version
> 3. apply the patch from #1
> 4. update Makefile.abi to build any new files
> 5. ignore any unused "official" sources in our distro (but keep them)

Well, there are no longer any Makefile changes to expat. And the
expat sources were much changed, so our old patches didn't apply.

What I did was remove everything in the expat tree, and then add all
the new stuff. It just made my life easier. There were probably
easier ways to do it.

There's only one patch currently outstanding, which fixed Be. I've
submitted that upstream.

For some reason, upstream CVS includes lots of stuff not in the
release tarball I imported. That stuff is all useless, and I have no
intention of putting it in.

However, I now agree with your argument in principle enough so the
fact that I don't think they are relevant is this case matters less.
So I'll put the sample app back in the tree. Right after my tree
builds again. :)

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/