Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)

Subject: Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)
From: Thomas Briggs (tom@sane.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:19:43 CST

> That's bad. I was under the distinct impression that it was possible
> to use configure style build systems on Win32. I know autoconf runs
> on them. In fact, they must work, since gcc builds on cygwin. Is the
> problem with the compiler options?

   It's possibe to use configure under cygwin if you're compiling with gcc,
yes. Unfortunately, every template Makefile.in that I've ever seen
hardcodes preprocessor options that MSVC chokes on. configure doesn't
correctly catch the linker and some other stuff either, so the time and
effort it would take to try to hack up the whole
autoconf/Makefile.in/whatever system to work with the MSVC compiler isn't
worth it.
   A nice simple Makefile.abi seems to be the way to go, but I haven't had
any luck getting expat to compile that way anyway (yet). It looks like I'm
gonna have to reverse engineer the whole expat build system before I can get
Win32 up and going again.

   -Tom