Re: Question

Subject: Re: Question
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:33:43 CST

At 07:24 PM 2/3/01 -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>At 8:16 PM -0500 2/2/01, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>>I was thinking that we might add it as properties of the abiword tag
>>- such as name, title, keywords, etc... and reflect the properties
>>up to the PD_Document object.
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>
> Sounds like a good idea to me! I would suggest that you look
>at existing sets of "basic" document meta-data (which is what you are
>talking about) such as Word, or PDF. If you REALLY want to start
>down this path, there are industry standards in this field (Dublin
>Core & RDF) but they aren't for the weak-hearted.

Dom,

I have no objections to this feature, either, but I'm wondering what, if
anything, would people be using it for now?

Off the cuff, I can imagine three scenarios:

1. Preserve existing content from other file formats.

2. Allow searching of this content by other tools (since we're not binary,
and thus readily parsible). For example, this might be neat to see inside
Nautilus.

3. Allow searching of this content inside AbiWord, like Word does inside
its overblown file open dialogs.

Either of the first two sound cool, but 3 is less appealing.

Paul