Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)

Subject: Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)
From: Thomas Briggs (tom@sane.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:38:36 CST

> Have you tried the expat build system with MSVC? What errors does it
> give? I'd like to try to fix them, rather than have you create a new
> build system.
>
> And you didn't really mean preprocesser, right?

   Yes I've tried it, and yes I meant preprocessor. There are flags
hardcoded into the Makefile.in (and not just in expat - the same stuff can
be found in the Makefile.in in wv, and pretty much everywhere else I looked)
which cause the MSVC compiler to choke.
   The offending stuff is in the rule for building .c files - it hardcodes
"-Wp,....(.defs)" or something like that into the Makefile.
   autoconf/configure/whatever the proper term is weren't made to work with
the MSVC compiler. Any attempt to make them work with the MSVC compiler is
futile - if anyone else were trying to do it there would be support for it
already.

   -Tom