Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)

Subject: Re: minimizing forks (was Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat)
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:32:32 CST

>That's bad. I was under the distinct impression that it was possible
>to use configure style build systems on Win32. I know autoconf runs
>on them. In fact, they must work, since gcc builds on cygwin. Is the
>problem with the compiler options?

It is possible to do this, so long as configure.in adds a few lines to
detect Cygwin. I've recently gotten wvWare to build on Win2k using configure
+ cygwin. The only problem that I ran into was that the make that Cygwin
ships with wasn't recursive :)

Try adding lines like this to the expat configure.in and then re-run
autoconf (see wv/configure.in for more details):

# Tests for Windows
AC_CYGWIN
AC_EXEEXT
AC_OBJEXT
AC_MINGW32
# End Tests for Windows

So long as everything in the makefile uses $(OBJEXT) and $(EXEEXT) instead
of like .obj and .exe (or .o and nothing in Unix-land) you'll be fine. If
not, it's not that much of a pain to do so.

Dom