Re: Mime-types

Subject: Re: Mime-types
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 14:02:14 CST

> One minor detail - what is the Abiword mime-type? I guess something
> like application/x-abiword would be a reasonable stab at it. Or do
> we want to register it officially, and hence lose the 'x-'? Or
> even, has someone already registered it?

I think we want to register a MIME type officially. It's a fairly
painless process, and I'd be happy to own the logistics of doing the
registration once there is some concensus on what it should be. (So,
if someone else wants to do the registration stuff, tell me explicitly
or I'll assume it's on my plate.)

The controlling document for this is RFC-2048. Here are some
highlights from that and my own biased experience/observations of the
process (you get to guess which is which :-)

* Absolutely, positively forget "X-".

* Forget anything related to "xml". Yeah, sure, Abi stuff uses XML
  for storage, but it's not like some other generic XML application
  can do anything rational with it. What if an asteroid hit the Earth
  and we migrated to a non-XML format? We're programmers ... let's be
  a little abstract here. :-)

* Forget "text/...". Sure, it's text in the same sense as "text/html"
  or "text/xml" at the characters-flying-by-me level, but those
  formats can be operated on by many different tools in a functionally
  equivalent way. We want to be in the "application/..." space.

* OTOH, RFC-2046 specifically calls out "text/..." thusly: "Possible
  subtypes of "text" thus include any word processor format that can
  be read without resorting to software that understands the format."
  I don't happen to agree with that philosophy, but certainly many
  people do.

* In the "application/..." and "text/..." spaces (as well as the other
  spaces), there are sort of "generic" things you can register and
  there are vendor-specific things you can register. The vendor stuff
  looks like "application/vnd.foo.bar" or "application/vnd.foo-bar"
  and has essentially no review process (other than administrative at
  IANA). Almost, it's a carving-out-some-namespace stuff. The
  generic stuff looks like "application/foobar" and is subject to a
  full IETF-style review process. Even though the vendor stuff is
  described as "commercially available", I don't think it really
  perverts the process too much to put our stuff there.

* Within the "vnd." space, you can have either a "well-known" product
  name or a vendor name and a product name.

Given all of the above, I think the first-cut logical choices are:

  application/vnd.abisource.abiword
  application/vnd.abiword

or, with more trouble,

  application/abiword

or

  text/vnd.abisource.abiword
  text/vnd.abiword

or, with more trouble,

  text/abiword

I personally favor "application/vnd.abiword", but let's hear what the
silverbacks among us think.