Re: Mime-types

Subject: Re: Mime-types
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 15:07:44 CST

tb> I dunno if I qualify as a silverback, but I think I'd throw my
tb> vote behind text/vnd.abisource.abiword, for one simple reason:
tb> extensibility. Let's say that one day we do develop

Yeah, but... The downside of this is that in reality folks need to
type the MIME types in various places from time to time, and the more
you give them to type, the more you give them to mess up. (I'm
nodding my head and muttering, "me, too".)

Other than that, I'm sympathetic to the argument about logical
extensibility, though we could just as easily to "vnd.abiword",
"vnd.abicalc", "vnd.abiicecream", etc. The clear advantage of
"vnd.abisource.*" is that it sort of puts other potential registrants
on notice that we've carved out that namespace.

Syntactically, all media subtypes are just opaque strings and each
must be registered separately.

((Someone else mentioned "abisuite". I understand that motivation,
but "abisource" leads you to the right web site, and "abisuite"
doesn't. It leads instead to a domain squatter web site.))