RE: libglade is evil

Subject: RE: libglade is evil
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 05:17:39 CST

Aaron wrote:

> Who made the descision to spontaneously add two more dependencies to

I. And I will remove it (or at least change it to a branch, as Sam
suggest).

> AbiWord? libglade is a work of evil. First of all, the ideology is
> less than ideal. It crafts your interface in XML files rather than
> code and these files have to be installed and accessible to the
> application. Then it _parses_ the interface of the program. It doesn't
> help that the parser it uses is the obsolete libxml1, when libxml2 is
> available and is my XML parser of choice for abi.

Flames besides, libglade rocks. If you think that the interface should rest
in the code and not in a separate file, you should try to maintain the gtk+
dialogs.

And the parser it's libxml1 because it's the parser of choice of all the
GNOME 1.x apps. Even if you don't like GNOME, you should admit that there
are *many* GNOME 1.x apps, and it's somewhat wise that all the apps use the
same lib.

We could say that here Abi is the exception.

> I don't have libglade0 nor libxml1 installed nor do I want to install
> them and the dev packages to build and use abi. Let the GNOME version
> use these silly interface libraries, I'm quite happy with GTK+
> thankyouverymuch. Serriously folks, making a mandatory dependency on a
> psion library was bad enough! But this goes overboard.

overboard? Please, can you honestly say how many megas has your hard drive?

If you think that we can leave that only for GNOME, or that it's optional,
that means that you have not read the code or that you don't understand the
use of this lib.

If it could be done optional (and remain useful) I would done it optional
the first time.

We should choose libglade or not libglade, but there are no middle point
(and I think that everybody agrees in not libglade (at least) until the
current issues are solved).

> libglade adds two annoying dependencies to abiword. It makes abi's
> libxml2 support useless. I oppose the use of libglade (and glade
> itself, for that matter) in any non-optional AbiWord code.

it doesn't make libxml1 support useless, nor expat support. That's just
silly.

Cheers,

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela