Re: libglade summary

Subject: Re: libglade summary
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 04:01:44 CST

Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> > We're not in windows. We can have in the same system two different
> > versions of the same library without any problem. The only conflict
> > between libxml1 & libxml2 was that their -dev packages both included a
> > little xml-config script. Now this problem is solved, because libxml2
> > has changed this script to xml2-config.
>
> It's not that it won't work (although that IS true in the current
> versions available in Debian), but more that it's incredibly silly to
> depend on two different versions of the same XML livrary and have them
> both in RAM at the same time. Perhaps it would be better if you

agreed

> patched libglade to use libxml2 (it shouldn't be very hard), bringing

I'm started to porting libglade to expat. When I will finish, I will
port it to libxml2

> it up to date, and sent the patches to the maintainer. I really do not
> see why people are not standardizing on libxml2.

source compat. The gnome platform should remain source compatible in
the 1.x series. libxml1 was shipped with gnome 1.0 & 1.2, and shipping
libxml2 with gnome 1.4 will break source compatibility

> > 4. It requires gettext to do i18n, and we don't support gettext
> >
> > True.
>
> Actually this is more of a bug with us, as we should be using gettext
> too. It would make a lot more sense if we used gettext in the first
> place, and then this would be a non-issue. The only problem is the
> conversion is non-trivial.

I don't think it will be non-trivial, but anyway I definitevely want to
take a look at this issue (I just have to manage to get enough free time
to work on the lists dialog).

> > 5. It introduces a new dependencie (besides the libxml problem)
> >
> > True. That's the point.
>
> No comment. I'm not sure the church secratary wants to make sure that
> many prerequisites are installed. My thoughts are that it's good to be
> independent, and we've succeeded in doing this so far even in ways
> that I'm not happy about. For example, we support many platforms
> independently of any external abstraction library.

fair enough. Luckily the church secretary has many utils to do the
download installation of abiword (with the need deps) without a glitch.
(if there is any church secretary out there using the linux version of
abiword...)

Cheers,

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela