Re: A forgotten patch

Subject: Re: A forgotten patch
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 01:29:16 CST

At 09:35 AM 2/9/01 -0500, Thomas Briggs wrote:
> Late last year, Gilles Saint-Denis posted a patch to the list in this
>message:

> It's been sitting in my mailbox ever since. :)
>
> I've looked over the patch, and the code looks fine, but I can't test it.
>So my question is this: does this patch remain lost in the void until
>somebody else with an HP710 printer comes along and tests it, or does
>Gilles' track record of submitting good patches that work well provide
>enough of a reason to just go ahead and commit it?
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

You'd be doing the commit, so it's your call. If you don't feel
comfortable, don't do it.

However, methinks our usual practice of sharing the credit (and blame) for
applying someone else's patches would apply here.

His claim is that without the patch HP710s don't work properly, and with the
patch it does. The only way to test those claims is to find another HP710
user, which is a lot easier to do if the patch is in the tree, no?

In this case, it certainly sounds like you have every reason to trust him.
If someone surfaces later to tell us he's wrong, it shouldn't be hard to get
the appropriate parties talking to each other. ;-)

Paul,
being verbose to help others make similar decisions in the future