Re: Mime-types

Subject: Re: Mime-types
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 12:10:26 CST

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 12:17:49AM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> Bottom line
> -----------
> If it were up to me (and it's not), I'd probably just skip all of this and
> just start using a consistent, unregistered, non-vnd type now -- I have a
> slight preference for application/abiword, but text/abiword is arguable --
> on all our platforms.
>
> We can always do the process later, when our userbase is in the millions and
> not just the hundreds of thousands. ;-)

I *really* dislike that solution. There's a defined process for
having one of those type assigned, and using one without following it
smacks of circumvention of the IETF of a kind that I normally
associate with proprietary software vendors.

<quote src="RFC 2048">
Registration in the IETF tree requires approval
   by the IESG and publication of the media type registration as some
   form of RFC.
</quote>

I love the idea of application/abiword or text/abiword. I just don't
want to see us use them if we aren't making an effort to do it
properly.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/