dialog layout algorithms (was Re: XP dialogs)

Subject: dialog layout algorithms (was Re: XP dialogs)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 13:56:15 CST

I'm breaking this out as a separate thread, in case people really really
want to spend time debating the merits of different methods for laying out
dialog widgets:

  - native platform resource files compiled into binary
  - separately-packaged files parsable at runtime
  - code-driven automatic layout managers & constraint systems
  - etc.

Currently, our APIs are agnostic for this issue, which allows
platform-specific (and even dialog-specific) flexibility.

People do tend to have strongly-held opinions in this area, though, so I'd
like to concentrate any potential flamewars and keep them from polluting
other discussions.

Thanks,
Paul