Re: does expat/libtool combo work on Win32?

Subject: Re: does expat/libtool combo work on Win32?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 15:06:18 CST

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:37:53AM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 09:49 PM 2/11/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 06:15:47PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> >> Sam et al,
> >> 1. make realclean doesn't
> >
> >That's really weird. From my output, it goes to zlib and libpng
> >before anything else.
>
> IIRC, I added a platform-specific patch last June to map realclean to the
> appropriate "unconfigure" targets in various makefiles for peer modules:

> Do I still need to dive down and trigger that manually, or does that
> mechanism need to be hooked up for the expat dependency?

Well, the "make realclean" does the expat directory for me. So I'm
not sure exactly why it's not working for you.

Well, looking at the src/Makefile, it seems that it won't clean expat
if expat hasn't been configured. So this is probably related to
problem 2.

> >> 2. libtool may not exist -- where do I get it?
> >
> >The libtool shell script is generated by configure. You don't need to
> >get anything. Try running ./configure in the expat directory, and see
> >if it creates a file called libtool.
>
> Oh. The prior abi makefiles had dependencies to run ./configure for
> supported peer modules as needed, so I wasn't expecting to have to do this
> manually.
>
> The current process for building abi is to download all the required
> modules, type make in the abi directory, and everything Just Builds. That's
> admirably simple, and I'd expected something similarly easy for any autoconf
> replacement:

> Are you expecting that people will have to manually run configure in each of
> the required modules? Ick.

No, you don't have to configure expat seperately. I was just
suggesting that in your case, since it didn't work on your system.

See the _EXPAT_ target in src/config/require/xp/Makefile. I don't
know why this wasn't happening on your system.

> >> 3. the filename doesn't get passed to the compiler
> >
> >That seems to be a problem with the seeming newline in the command
> >line. Try fixing the libtool problem and see if it goes away.
>
> Nope. Manually running configure did create a libtool script, but that just
> created more problems. I'll try upgrading from B19.
>
> >> 4. why is it building an xmlparse.lo target?
> >
> >That's what libtool calls the object file. If you don't want to know
> >how libtool works, don't worry about it. If you do, ask me, or read
> >http://sources.redhat.com/autobook
>
> OK, thanks. It just sounded pretty Unix-centric, so I wasn't sure I was
> triggering the Win32 variants of the tools.

Try this with a newer Cygwin, and see what happens. The problem you
have described are all really weird, so maybe an upgrade will fix
them.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/