Re: OS/FS nitpickin'

Subject: Re: OS/FS nitpickin'
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:29:08 CST

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:14:10PM +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
> Perhaps some think this is nitpicking, but looking at Abi the ants homepage
> at abisource, you can't help yourself notice that "our" and speaks about
> "Open Source" (capitalization quoted) wehen what *we* do is developing Free
> Software. Did this strike anyone but me as somewhat ... disrespectful...?
>
> I _love_ free software, and I respect the "open source" movement, but I
> rather develop free software than open source if I had the opportunity.
>
> AbiWord is GPL, so why is "our" ant speaking of "Open Source"???

Well, the web page hasn't been updated much since about 0.7.0 (if not
earlier) and at that point, AbiWord was a much different project. If
you have specific places that you'd like to change the webpage, I'd be
happy to do it. However, I'm not sure that a global replace would be
guaranteed to preserve quality phrasing in all cases, so I'd like to
avoid that.

Note: I'm removing the trademark statement about open source, since it
is false.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/