Re: PATCH -- quiet libtool builds

Subject: Re: PATCH -- quiet libtool builds
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 19:31:03 CST

At 07:11 PM 2/15/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
>First, does this still print the filename?

For me it does, but I suspect that's a result of the CFLAGs I'm passing to
the VC compiler (cl.exe). YMMV.

>I really think the better change is to do this:
>
>LIBTOOL= @LIBTOOL@ --silent
>
>and then in the .c.lo rule:
>
>.c.lo:
> $(LTCOMPILE) -c $<
>
>change this to
>
>.c.lo:
> @$(LTCOMPILE) -c $<
> @echo $<
>
>Note that this is also totally untested.

I tried something like that earlier, and found that the noisy_ hack made it
even quieter. :-)

>You should just make these changes in the Makefile.am for psiconv.
>Just adding
>
> noisy_LIBTOOL = @LIBTOOL@
> LIBTOOL = @$(noisy_LIBTOOL) --silent
>
>to Makefile.am should do the trick.

Oh, you can do that there? I didn't know that.

>You do need to have automake to
>do this, but I hope you can manage that (it only depends on perl).

Perl, huh? I think I'll stick with my current hack. ;-)

Paul