RE: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes

Subject: RE: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 15:23:24 CST

paul> 1. Undo granularity wrong. --------------------------- Any
paul> auto-replace operation should be undoable, in case you don't
paul> like the results. To make this work, the replacement operation
paul> itself should be a separate undo step.

I basically agree about the UNDO granularity. The problem is about
insertion point motion and undo operations. There is a fuller
explanation of the problems I ran into here:

I agree that this is not good, but without the equivalent of
(save-excursion ...), I was sort of stuck. I'd be happy if someone
figured this out (either by fixing the UNDO system in AbiWord or by
figuring out how I had wrongly used it).

paul> 2. Messes up word boundaries for contractions.
paul> ----------------------------------------------- I put logic in
paul> there long ago so that we could properly pass contractions to
paul> the spell engine for validation. With smart quotes turned on,
paul> they "aren't" working any more. Try it. :-)

Sorry, but I can't reproduce this (I just tried it on the unnumbered
win32 0.7.13 binary). "aren't" gets no red squiggle, "arren't" gets a
red squiggle. I went to a certain amount of trouble to preserve the
apostrophe case (and even fixed a few existing glitches), so I know
the goal state well.

Maybe this is some side effect of the work that various fingers have
done with spelling stuff over the past several months. Do you see the
same symptoms if you try the unnumbered win32 0.7.13 binary that we
have for download?

paul> 3. Something's goofy on export.
paul> -------------------------------- Make a new document. Type in
paul> your favorite contraction with Smart Quotes on. The
paul> single-quote gets replaced with a curly glyph (in Times New
paul> Roman). Save and reload the document. Now you get a different
paul> glyph (still TNR, but straighter). Huh?

I *can* repro this on win32, with single or double quote marks, but
I'm pretty sure it's a im/ex problem and not a smart quote problem.
(The problem still occurs if you turn smart quotes off.) On win32 to
repro the problem, just save either of Paul's or Vlad's examples into
"sq.abw", open it, see the glyphs correctly, save as "sq1.abw", open
that, and see the glyphs incorrectly. (You can also see that they're
different things in the *.abw files.)