RE: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes

Subject: RE: dogfood feedback -- Smart Quotes
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 12:32:47 CST

paul> Oh. I guessed (wrongly) that you promoted both the quotes at
paul> once, and was describing a way to "jump back" and make both
paul> changes in a way that wouldn't screw up the IP.

Sorry I didn't realize you were confused about this. I guess since
you were concentrating on contraction cases, the visible difference of
the two timing schemes wasn't apparent.

paul> Sounds like you've got a more localized state machine than I'd

Yes, it was a happy day when I worked the algorithm to have:

1. Single-character/motion latency (it acts after you type the single
    next character or make an insertion point motion).

2. Single-character context (it only needs to look at the character
    or structural boundary one before and one after).

There's a lot more code complexity in acting on entire words or
phrases. Spell-checking has some of that complexity because it has no
choice but to operate on words. (My original implementation plan was
to mimic spell-checking, but it's scattered over quite a bit of
countryside.)

paul> envisioned. (It'll be interesting to see how you handle some of
paul> the screw cases with abandoned edits, but that's another story.)

As a general engineering principle, I think local code done right
tends to deal better with odd cases than non-local code (or, if not,
what's OO all about?). So, exercise the cases you have in mind and
let's see what happens.