SEGV in SEGV handler

Subject: SEGV in SEGV handler
From: Tim Allen (tim@proximity.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 01:04:16 CST

The attached patch fixes a segfault in the segfault handler. The previous
code was scribbling on potentially unallocated memory while creating the
backup file name. This bit my wife when Abiword crashed while she was
typing in a chocolate cake recipe, and the automatic backup didn't work
(and she hadn't saved recently...). I wasn't able to track down the
original cause of the crash, since it was a non-debug build, other than
that it was in UT_GrowBuf::ins(). However I did manage to track down the
probable cause for the backup failing. I can't prove that this was the
problem, but it seems the most likely culprit.

Evidently, by sheer luck, the previous code often worked; it actually
worked more often than not when I was testing it. In view of the
circumstances, I would like to invoke a minor variation on the donut
rule: someone owes my wife a chocolate cake :-). Or a chocolate cake
recipe would do, actually :).

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/