Re: Copyright of Ispell Modifications (take two)

Subject: Re: Copyright of Ispell Modifications (take two)
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 20:48:19 CDT

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 05:48:30PM -0700, Paul Rohr wrote:
> I'm glad Geoff has explicitly confirmed that we can use his code, but I see
> *nothing* in the license we got from Geoff which allows us to change the
> license on any of his files.

Well, you aren't allowed to change his license. But you are completely
free to on *derivitive works*, like ours. I'm presently trying to
figure out why exactly this is legal under the BSD license, but the
consensus is definately that it is allowed. I think it's because the
license is worded like this:

 * are met:

... and relicensing is never disallowed by any of the conditions.

> Even if we could relicense our changes in some other way, there have been a
> *number* of other significant contributors to our heavily-hacked fork of the
> ispell code. This has been obscured by the fact that whoever moved the code
> from other/spell to other/spell/xp wasn't able to preserve the earlier CVS
> history.

That's why it's better to keep it under new-style BSD. But to be
pedantic we would still need permission from all of those contributors
since they modified it when it had the advertising clause at the top.