Re: Commit: pspell bug 1651 (was: Re: Commit: spellcheck on PPC: bug 1651)

Subject: Re: Commit: pspell bug 1651 (was: Re: Commit: spellcheck on PPC: bug 1651)
From: Kevin Atkinson (kevina@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 04:05:06 CDT

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> According to Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>:
>
> > This whole conversion nonsense can be avoided if you are willing to
> > sacrifice compatibility with Pspell .11 and use the length parameter...I
> > plan on removing the backwards comparability macros by when Pspell goes beta
> > which may happen by the end of the Summer.
>
> I have to investigate more, but it looks like unecessary conversion is
> performed somewhere between the document and the spell checker. That should
> be fixed first if this really exists.

Well the conversion to UTF-8 is really not needed. For Pspell .11 all
that really needs to be done is a copy of the string with a 16 bit null
character at the end.

To get the length of the strings returned (in both Pspell .11 and .12)
first convert it to unsigned short * and then look for the 16 bit null
character (ie a 0 after is is converted to an unsigned short *)

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://www.ibiblio.org/kevina/