Windows Nightly Build Newer than 20010713?

Subject: Windows Nightly Build Newer than 20010713?
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 12:50:04 CDT

I've found a number of anomalies related to styles and lists in the
windows nightly build of 20010713 that I downloaded from Alan Horkin's
site. (I'm testing on Windows 95.)

I don't want to call them bugs yet, and I hope to start going through
them again later today and tomorrow and then compile a list of potential
bugs.

Has work been done in the area of lists, styles, and automatic numbering
since then? Is there a more up-to-date nightly build somewhere that
reflects that work, or is it appropriate to review the build I have?

I'm thinking that I might email a list of anomalies back to the list,
and let someone read it and tell me which bugs are worth filing. I may
try searching bugzilla, but searching for each potential bug adds a lot
of overhead to the bug finding effort, and likely as not, I choose the
wrong words to search for, since I'm not at all familiar with what's in
bugzilla.

Well, Ok, maybe I'll start by doing a quick browse of bugzilla looking
for the words: list, bullet, style, heading, numbering, and Martin
Sevior and see what turns up. OK, I did some searching -- I found only
two bugs listed under style (1619 and 1617) and none under list, and it
looks like I have a lot to learn about bugzilla.

A few points off the top of my head:

Many of the bullets under Windows do not show up properly (I've
downloaded a different nightly build for Linux and can see results there
which look more correct). I have a vague recollection that there is a
known problem with fonts under Windows that might be causing this
problem. Is it worthwhile to develop a list of each wrong bullet style?

The list of "standard" styles under Windows and Linux is different. For
example, Windows has a larger list of styles than Linux. Is there any
reason a user should not expect the same set of standard styles in all
versions?

Finally, under both Windows and Linux, the style drop down box (on the
toolbar) is too narrow to show the full name of all the styles. Linux
has a horizontal scroll bar but Windows does not. Word97 addresses the
problem by allowing the drop down "thingie" to be wider than the box on
the tool bar. (Aside: Their box is actually a combo box, as you can
type in a style in place of the style in the box.) Are there widgets /
controls available to AbiWord that would allow the drop down to be wider
than the box on the tool bar?

Randy Kramer