Re: POW: ImageMagick multipurpose graphic importer

Subject: Re: POW: ImageMagick multipurpose graphic importer
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 10:34:51 CDT

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, F J Franklin wrote:

> One further consideration for the eventual future is that one day AbiWord
> will support SVG. ImageMagick does distinguish between vector and raster
> graphics and ultimately this should propagate to AbiWord. But the question
> arises: Should ImageMagick be used to import SVG?
>
> For now, perhaps yes, to convert SVG -> PNG.
>
> I have recently written a WMF importer for AbiWord which uses libwmf2's
> WMF -> PNG converter, which I will post in a week or so, but I could just
> as easily use the WMF -> SVG converter.

I would prefer this.

> What is the status of AbiWord's SVG import & rendering?

A lot of the framework code for SVG has been put in place however it
doesn't actually do anything yet. I believe that that we just need a few
more methods in AbiWord's XP graphics layer to be able to render SVG
directly to our XP canvas. In particular we need a method to draw arbitary
splines.

In any case I'm very much in favour of keeping vector images in a vector
format so we can stretch, expand, compress and print without loss of
resolution.

Alternatively we could just use ImageMagic to rasterise the SVG image and
just dump the resultant pixmap to the screen. However going this route
will lead to poorer printing performance.

> I notice that image previewing results in the image being loaded twice,
> the first time bounded by the preview box. Similarly, Word documents
> usually state the displayed size of an image. It would be very convenient
> if there could be additional arguments to the image converter method which
> indicated a preferred and/or maximum image size, something like
>
> ..., UT_uint32 max_width, UT_uint32 max_height, bool exact)
>
> Importers would be free to ignore such information, or to use it.

Maybe we should have an overloaded method with these extra paramters. It
certainly makes 100% sense for vector formats. What do you think Dom?

Cheers

Martin