Re: POW -- which locales Just Work?

Subject: Re: POW -- which locales Just Work?
From: ha shao (hashao@chinese.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 07:36:49 CST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 04:09:52PM +0400, hvv@hippo.ru wrote:

> > 8. The resulting document gets saved as Unicode, if necessary, rather than
> > in some platform-specific charset. This file can be opened and read
> > properly on a different platform. (For example, Russian documents
> > authored on Windows can be read on Linux, and vice versa.)
>

> From this sentence one may think that saving in unicode is a better approach
> than saving in native charset. It's wrong - since the charset is specified in
> the xml header, storing documents in any charset will work fine (as long as
> importing system's iconv understands that encoding). All that is needed is to
> detect "current" encoding (used when exporting to .abw) correctly on all
> platforms (so correct charset name is written to xml header). It seems that
> charset detection is properly implemented only on unix currently (I wish to be
> wrong - I didn't examine non-XP non-unix code closel).

Well, maybe it is true for libxml version. But for expat version,
CJK native encoding cannot be imported now. Besides, abiword
exports CJK .abw characters as &xxxx; instead of native encoding.
I had a patch to export CJK native characters but since I tried
and failed to import them (with encoding=GB2312 set), I put it
on hold now.

I did not try link abiword with libxml yet. It segfault on me
somewhere a few days ago.

--
Best regard
hashao