Re: comparison -- locales with ispell dictionaries

Subject: Re: comparison -- locales with ispell dictionaries
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 14:42:54 CST

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 02:27 PM 3/1/01 +0100, Jordi Mas wrote:
> >Yes, as we mention before, this is a problem. We can localise AbiWord in
> >many languages, but if we cannot make the spell ckecker work many people
> >will not use it. As you know, for end users, spell checking is an important
> >feature, specially here in Europe where is common to work with three or
> >four different languages every day and you trend to mix up words and
> >spellings.
>
> Jordi,
>
> Would you be willing to work with Karl to help triage this problem?

Some time around September 2000 we had a huge set of flames that ispell
did not work with anything but our own american.hash file. Unfortunately
we did not have the developers at the time who could fix this. We decided
in principle it would be better to move to Kevin Atckinson's PSpell
especially since PSpell was replacing ispell in RH 7.0.

In November 2000 Dom implemented a compile option ABI_OPT_PSPELL to enable
pspell based spell checking. By all accounts this works well for RH 7 and
Debian users for non-American locales. However it doesn't work for any of
our other platforms.

Kevin Atkinson has requested help in porting Pspell to Windows and our
other platforms. I would really like this to happen since it is clear that
ispell is a deadend and the sooner we replace it the better.

Cheers

MArtin