Re: patch: UNIX shell script portability

Subject: Re: patch: UNIX shell script portability
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 20:13:04 CST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 05:57:15PM -0800, Kevin Vajk wrote:

> Tests like [ -z $foobar ] are not portable. The variable needs to
> be quoted if it might be unset, like [ -z "$foobar" ]. I've included
> a patch to the abiword script-generation scripts below.

Is this a bashism, or a POSIX spec that isn't being followed?

Also, do we need to be even more portable? I.e., do we need to do
this autoconf style with

test "x$foo" != "$foo"

or can we just not support those platforms? This question is really -
Do any of those platforms support *any* interesting software, or can
we just forget about them?

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/